Unity of The Villages started as a study group under the direction of Unity of Ocala, FL in August of 2007. The purpose was to be able to teach basic Unity courses in The Villages that would be open to the public.
In January of 2008, a small group of people suggested that Unity hold Sunday services in The Villages area in order to expose more people to the Unity message. An organizational meeting was held on January 14 with about 35 people in attendance, and an Advisory Board of 10 people stepped forward to plan for Sunday service. The first Sunday service was held at the Oxford Community Center on February 3, 2008 at 3 p.m. Services were held every other week.
It immediately became apparent that there was a strong desire for a local Unity church. Unity of The Villages was chartered as an independent expansion ministry in July of 2008 with Norman Bogert, Licensed Unity Teacher, as the Spiritual Leader. Guest speakers were invited several times each month in order to expose the congregation to different points of view and delivery techniques.
After temporarily holding Sunday services in two local churches, in July 2009 Unity moved to rental space in the Spruce Creek Professional Center in Summerfield. This move allowed them to change the time of the Sunday Service to the morning and also to offer classes and other activities. Unity of The Villages quickly evolved into a caring community, encouraging individual spiritual growth and enriching the lives of participants. In April 2014, Unity of the Villages was recognized by Unity Worldwide Minstries as a full-status ministry, allowing for voting at the national convention.
In August of 2016, a permanent spiritual home was purchased. Unity of The Villages changed its' name to Unity Spiritual Center and moved to our present location in Fruitland Park.
In addition to Sunday services, Unity Spritual Center holds a weekly prayer service each Wednesday at noon. The church offers spiritual classes, seminars and workshops. The church contributes to the community by supporting the Christian Food Pantry, Haven shelter, and Sandy Acres Baptist Church that ministers to the homeless and impoverished who live in the Ocala National Forest.
Unity of The Villages is our spiritual home where we know, love and serve God through our prayer and meditation... our Sunday celebrations and classes... our community and fellowship.
A world powerfully transformed through the growing movement of shared spiritual awakening
In loving community, we nuture and inspire spiritual growth by modeling and teaching universal spiritual principles.
We are expressing our values to the fullest of our abilities. Together, we work to embody these values in our relationships with ourselves, with other, with the Earth and the Divine which we call God.
- Welcoming - We enthusiastically welcome all paths to God. We honor all expressions of the Divine.
- Diverse - We embrace all ages, ethicities, nationalities, religions and lifestyles.
- Prayful -Through affirmative prayer we meet all challenges.
- Transformational - We shift how we view everything in our lives to a higher, more meaningful perspective. As we actively transform, limiting patterns fall away and we create lives of fulfillment and joy.
- Abundant - We are one with the abundant Divine. As we share our abundance our lives are enriched in all areas.
- Joyful - As we live and celebrate our spiritual principles every day, we feel the joy of knowing that nothing and on one can take our good from us or separate us from the Divine. We give and receive joyously and gratefull, and we have fun!
- Empowering - We empower all to motivate and educate people in transforming their lives through an expanded awareness of the power and presence of God in their lives.